God - We believe that there is one, true God - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - revealed to humanity through the Word of God.
Jesus - We believe that Jesus is the Son of God and the Son of Man - this is the central truth and mystery of the Christian faith! Jesus, the Man, has fulfilled all the requirements of God's law for us. As God, Jesus' death has paid for the sins and errors of all people. We believe, as the Holy Scriptures teach, that Jesus rose from the dead on the third day and has ascended into heaven. Jesus said of Himself, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6) Join us to learn more about Him!
The Bible - We believe the Bible - the Old and New Testaments - is God's Word and that it is without error and without fault. In His Word, God reveals His heart and His plan for His creation. These Scriptures from God do not change but remain firm through our changing times - "The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8) Thus the Bible is the sole rule and norm for all that is taught and proclaimed at Holy Cross.
Salvation - Salvation is found in no one else [except Jesus], for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12) Salvation is a gift from God offered to us in Jesus.
The Christian Church - The Church is NOT a building or a denomination, it is the whole of all believers in Jesus Christ! Here at Holy Cross we are honored to be a part of this Holy People!
What is a Lutheran?
A Lutheran is a Christian. Our church accepts and teaches the Bible-based teachings of Martin Luther that inspired the reformation of the Christian Church in the 16th century. The teaching of Luther and the reformers can be summarized in three short phrases:
Grace alone - We believe God loves the people of the world, even though they are sinful, rebel against Him and do not deserve His love. He sent Jesus, His Son, to love the unlovable and save the ungodly.
Faith alone - We believe Jesus purchased and won forgiveness and eternal life for all people. By His suffering and death, Jesus served as the sacrifice for all people of all time. Those who believe this Good News have the eternal life it offers.
Scripture alone - We believe the Bible is God's Word and that it is without error and without fault. In His Word, God reveals His Law (which we have broken) and His Gospel (which is our salvation in Jesus). Therefore, the Bible is the sole rule and norm for Christian doctrine.
THE LUTHER ROSE
Dr. Martin Luther developed this pictorial symbol of what he personally believed, teached, and confessed. Here are the symbolic meanings of the various parts of this picture:
- The black cross in the center reminds us that Jesus died to take the punishment for our sins.
- The red heart reminds us of the love God has for us in sending Jesus to be our Savior.
- The red of the heart is the color of the blood of Christ, shed for us and for our salvation.
- The white rose helps us remember the work of the Holy Spirit who makes us pure and holy in God’s sight by bringing us to faith in Jesus and by helping us to live our lives for Him.
- The sky blue background pictures the joy of new life God gives to all who believe and trust in Him.
- Finally, the golden ring outlining the seal reminds us of our eternal inheritance-a home in heaven where we will enjoy complete joy and happiness in our Savior’s presence.